Southern Style Mashed Potatoes


When I was a little girl I remember helping my grandmother prepare the family meals. She would stay in the kitchen from morning until night making sure we were all fed. She taught me so much about cooking and the joy it can bring when you sit down for dinner as a family. Sitting down for a family meal can take away so much daily stress and bring everyone closer. I don't think enough people do that now days. When I grew up I started collecting her recipes and enjoyed sharing them with my own family. I have always enjoyed cooking- and so does my husband. That's where this story is about to take a little turn.

Grannies Little Red Apron
When I first met my husband, I was twenty-five and a single mom with two daughters. I invited him to dinner one evening and attempted to make a meatloaf for the first time- it turned out spectacular awful. The whole thing crumbled- seems I forgot to put an egg in it- ha-ha. I didn't have time to make anything different before he arrived- and I was so embarrassed to show him the dinner- but when got there he just laughed. We both stood there laughing uncontrollably for a few moments when he finally told me how much he loves to cook. He told me to throw it out and he would make me dinner instead- now itsn't that a good man? But for some reason from that moment on he just thought I couldn't cook anything and decided he would be the new house chef. So- I decided to let him think whatever he wants- because even though I enjoy cooking- I'd much rather- not! - ;)

The recipe I'm about to share is for my husband's Southern Style Mashed Potatoes. They are so delicious! As you might know- us southerners love some butter and heavy cream- so these aren't to light on the waste- but they sure are- tasty!

SOUTHERN STYLE MASHED POTATOES

Ingredients:

5lb. potatoes- cubed
1/2 stick butter
1 medium onion- chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream- *hubby uses the heavy cream
1tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Boil potatoes until tender- drain and set aside. Sautee' onions in 1/4 stick butter until desired tenderness- and set aside. In a large bowl mix together mayo, sour cream, milk or heavy cream, and remaining butter. Combine all ingredients mashing potatoes just a little while stirring. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with cayenne pepper for a little heat- or not.

We hope if you try this recipe, you will enjoy it as much as we do. And if you make a meatloaf, please don't forget to add an egg- haha.

So, tell us- who's the chef in your family? Do you have any crazy dinner stories? We'd love to hear them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...